20 QUESTIONS WITH MARINA & THE DIAMONDS
You recently released your new album Electra Heart how does it differ from the music you have released in the past?
It’s more electronic than the first album. My voice is calmer and more stable. The 1st song I wrote was calledLiving Dead- a gloomy electronic pop song- something that Britney would have written if she’d been a goth- and from then onwards, I pretty much knew what Electra Heart should sound like. Dark, electro, bubblegum pop with a kick of irony on the side.
What was the main inspiration behind the new record Electra Heart and the fun bubblegum girly image?
Art always reflects the state of society and Pop music often reflects the thoughts/ fashions of the youth generation. I absorb everything that i see around me- on Tumblr, on the street, in the movies, on tv- that’s what inspires me! So part of the sassy, girly, coquettish image is due to me seeing that becoming more prevalent in our youth culture- a desire for clean, innocent, powdered giriness. Perhaps it’s a throwback after so much s&m ‘shock’ imagery in pop music in the past 5 years. The album is about love, and I ending up re-imagining myself as a hyper-feminised character as a way to portray my thoughts on love at a particular time in my life.
Are you planning on doing any touring or festivals this spring/summer? If so where can we expect to see you?
I’m bringing my tour 'The Lonely Hearts Club' to America in July & August! I’m also supporting Coldplay.
Did you help at all with the treatment, styling or visual ideas on the Primadonna Girl video shoot?
Erm…. Yeah!!! That’s what made me want to be a pop artist more than anything in the first place. It is one of the few creative jobs which enables you to express your ideas in a huge variety of mediums, if you have a talent for it. I guide and contribute to every photo shoot or every video I do. It wouldn’t work otherwise. It’s rare that a director can succinctly express the personality/ vision of an artist for them. Sometimes it occurs if the director knows you well but I like to have a firm grip on things…
Do you prefer to be touring and out on the road, or home recording and living the day to day life?
When I’m on the road, I want the normal life and when I’m living the normal life, I want to be on the road performing. Being an artist is a luxurious thing, as you are always stimulated and can never predict what will happen next for you. You’re paid to be an escapist so if I had to pick one, it would be the touring life.
You get to travel all the time for your job, Is there one place you haven’t gone that you would love to visit?
I would love to see more of Asia. I’ve only ever been to Japan.
How would you describe your personal style, Where do you pull your inspiration from? Favorite designers at the moment?
Meadham Kirchoff, Marchesa, Rachel Gilbert, Natalie B. Coleman and Christopher Kane.
At the start of the campaign, I was really obsessed with 60/ 70s decaying American suburban fashions as I’d spent most of my time trailing around California alone writing my record. I was surrounded by amazing tacky 70s American vintage and it was bliss for me. Then when Primadonna came out it went into a hybrid of Marilyn,Marie Antoinette, early Madonna- doll-like- pink vintage pop art. At the moment, it’s very Little House On The Prairie. The character Electra Heart is so villainous & I like to mix innocent baby pinks & love-heart teen imagery with irony and then something more sinister. I based a lot of her on Nelly Oleson from Little House. I read her autobiography “Confessions Of A Prairie Bitch" (kind of amazing in a camp tacky way…) and she had said that she had loved playing a villain so much because it was a constructive way for her to exorcise anger about other things that had happened in her life. I related to that as the main reason behind creating a villain.
Do you have any hidden talents?
I think I am quite good at baking!
Five things you can’t live without?
Moustache bleach, my pink dog Marilyn, an audience, food, men.
Last really good movie or TV show you loved?
The last thing I ate was…
A piece of Earl Grey cake with my Mum.
Are you crafty? Do you make anything in your spare time?
Not so much anymore. I stick the occasional thing on a top or cheer jacket I’m bored with. i used to be crazy about customising and ‘embroidering’ patterns on to old skirts but don’t have time anymore
Night owl or early bird?
Night owl, due to nature of job. Wish I was early bird.
Favorite restaurant ever and where?
Giorgio Baldi, Santa Monica
One beauty product you can’t live without?
Diamond Peel, Nubo.
What’s your favorite band / music at the moment that you can not stop listening to?
Traveling all over the world with the time zones must catch up with you and leave some serious jet lag, Best cure for it, do you try to beat it or give in?
I give in, 100%. I just grab hours whenever I can. I don’t care if it’s 2pm. If I have 2 hours spare, I will use them to try and sleep.
If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Spaghetti with a tomato- based sauce, basil & parmesan
Cats or dogs? Do you have any pets?
Only fake ones… •CRIES*
P.S if you don’t own Electra Heart you must iTunes it, amazing!
- ohliveeyuh13 reblogged this from marinaisbetterthanyou
- fukingpale likes this
- sasha-is-fab reblogged this from marinaisbetterthanyou
- igotoparadisesometimes reblogged this from marinaisbetterthanyou
- on-side reblogged this from marinaisbetterthanyou
- katpowrr reblogged this from marinaisbetterthanyou
- rockyyishere likes this
- ppwweenncciill likes this
- born-then-die likes this
- well-fuck-shit-happens likes this
- yourzozoawesome reblogged this from marinaisbetterthanyou
- betel-geuse likes this
- bwhitesouls reblogged this from marinaisbetterthanyou
- brionnakw likes this
- goodsxx likes this
- babe-00 reblogged this from marinaisbetterthanyou
- babe-00 likes this
- amjoeph25 likes this
- eyeofthecatastrophe likes this
- su-rreal-ism likes this
- t-ypicaal likes this
- michelleftw reblogged this from marinaisbetterthanyou
- allknowingidiot likes this
- cierraloren likes this
- awesomekatcake reblogged this from marinaisbetterthanyou
- priscilaortuno reblogged this from a-moment-of-lovee
- a-moment-of-lovee reblogged this from marinaisbetterthanyou
- sexcesses likes this
- uprist likes this
- itswasallme likes this
- infinitely--beautiful likes this
- ultraviolentpussy likes this
- ultraviolentpussy reblogged this from marinaisbetterthanyou
- vodakkitten likes this
- pretty-amazinq reblogged this from marinaisbetterthanyou
- bey0nd-w0nderland reblogged this from marinaisbetterthanyou
- eccentric-xx likes this
- kidswhodontreadgood likes this
- real-slim-stoner reblogged this from marinaisbetterthanyou
- icrave-your-t0uch reblogged this from coralj-11
- coralj-11 reblogged this from yung-babez
- yung-babez reblogged this from m-ad505
- painispresent reblogged this from happygirlsaretheprettiest-s
- happygirlsaretheprettiest-s reblogged this from wormsatebrains
- happygirlsaretheprettiest-s likes this
- wormsatebrains reblogged this from tiernamirada
- concepto-s reblogged this from ukrudt
- wettrousers reblogged this from ognado
- autre-fois likes this
- cynicalbubblegum reblogged this from infinite---sadnesss